Sharon RPC
Location:Morning Sun, Iowa
Presbytery:Midwest
Organization:Sept. 26, 1846
Membership:70 communicant; 13 baptized
Pastor:Ronald Good
History
The saga of the Sharon RPC reaches beyond her organizational date. It touches Ireland and immigration to America. In the spring of 1840, the first Sharon families arrived in the Iowa Territory from Philadelphia. The church is older than the state itself. Originally it was known as “Linn Grove and Cedar” and became Sharon in 1854. There were 17 charter members, and a meeting house was erected in 1853. The present building was constructed in 1863 and has been remodeled a number of times.
James McDonald was the first pastor, serving for 21 years. Since organizing, only 12 pastors have served this congregation. During the first 125 years, literally hundreds of people coming west became ...