Subscriber? Login. No? Subscribe.

Expanding to Campus and Community

08. December 2008

Columns, Congregation of the Month,

  

Bloomington RPC

Location: Bloomington, Indiana

Presbytery: Great Lakes–Gulf

Organized: October 10, 1821

Membership: 77 communicant, 45 baptized

Pastors: William Roberts, Richard Holdeman

Pastoral Intern: Adam Niess

The first Covenanters came to the Bloomington area in March 1820, and others soon followed. Most had left South Carolina because of their anti-slavery views and had chosen to settle in Indiana because the state did not allow slavery. The Reformed Presbyterian Church of Bloomington was organized in 1821.

James Faris was the congregation’s first pastor and served from 1821 until 1855. He and the congregation were active in the Underground Railroad, aiding slaves who had escaped and fled north. The congregation moved into the current church building in 1927.

The ministry of the Bloomington congregation centers upon an unwavering adherence to God’s Word in preaching and teaching. Worship services with preaching are held twice on the Lord’s Day, as well as Sunday school classes for all ages in the morning.

During the mid-1980s, the congregation and its leadership undertook a revitalization program, beginning with the development of a new statement of purpose. God has been pleased to bless these efforts as the congregation has more than doubled in the last 15 years.

The congregation has also ...

In order to continue reading, a subscription is necessary. SUBSCRIBE or LOGIN.