Subscriber? Login. No? Subscribe.

Active Service in the Denomination

16. December 2010

Columns, Congregation of the Month,

  

Location: Abington, Pa.

Presbytery: Atlantic

Organization: Founded in 1851 as the Third Church of the Covenanters of Philadelphia

Membership: 34 communicant; 19 baptized

Pastor:John D. Edgar, installed Fall 2009

Website: http://www.elkinsparkchurch.com

There are two Reformed Presbyterian congregations in the Phila­delphia area: Elkins Park and Broomall. The Reformed Presbyter­ian Church of Elkins Park was first organized in Jan. 1851 in North Philadelphia. It has moved twice—once within the city, and once out of the city into the densely populated northern suburbs, with easy access to the city by public transportation. It is located in Abington Township, the source of the Supreme Court case that resulted in the banning of school-sponsored Bible reading in American public schools. Westminster Theological Seminary is four miles away.

The church takes an active role in White Lake Camp in New York, with deacon Bob Allmond serving as camp director and with most of the congregation’s children going to camp and often bringing their friends. Junior and senior high students meet at the church building each week to further their learning of the catechism. We have a weekly prayer meeting, and have had a weekly men’s meeting. The congregation has reached out to its neighbors through food drives, blood drives, and evening ...

In order to continue reading, a subscription is necessary. SUBSCRIBE or LOGIN.