Subscriber? Login. No? Subscribe.

A Strong Remnant of Believers

02. June 2009

Columns, Congregation of the Month,

  

Location: Seattle, Wash.

Presbytery: Pacific Coast

Organized: 1892

Membership: 63 communicant; 14 baptized

Web Site: http://www.seattlerpchurch.org

In 1889, a commission of the Kansas Presbytery traveled to the young city of Seattle to establish the first RP congregation on the West Coast. Two years later the congregation disbanded after the pastor and two ruling elders resigned, but a strong remnant of believers continued to meet regularly for Bible study and prayer. Another commission was appointed, and the Seattle RPC reorganized in 1892 with 42 communicant members.

During the pastorate of P.J. McDonald, who arrived in 1895, the congregation initiated a ministry to the large Chinese community in Seattle. At one time, more than 40 Chinese men participated in a midweek Bible study.

The operator of a large orphanage in the early 1900s brought all the children under her care to the RP Sabbath school, swelling the attendance to 300.

In 1947, the church relocated from downtown to its present location in the Ravenna neighborhood of northeast Seattle. The current church building was constructed on that site, with the first worship service taking place in Feb. 1971.

Donald Piper served as pastor from 1977 to his retirement in May 2008. He and his wife Boni continue their membership and participation in ...

In order to continue reading, a subscription is necessary. SUBSCRIBE or LOGIN.