Subscriber? Login. No? Subscribe.

A ‘Sending’ Congregation

01. June 2010

Columns, Congregation of the Month,

  

Location: Westminster, Colo.

Presbytery: Midwest


Membership: 72 communicant; 43 baptized


Organized: 1973


Pastor: Rev. Shane Sapp

Over its nearly 40-year existence, Westminster RPC has been a “sending” congregation. A brief look at its history will explain why.

In February 1970, a presbytery commission disorganized the Denver RP Church, an inner-city church that began in 1890 and enjoyed many fruitful years of ministry before its decline. At the same meeting, the commission called J. Paul McCracken to come to the Denver area to begin a new mission work in the growing Denver suburbs. After an initial survey, Paul chose Westminster and moved his family in September 1970.

Westminster is a city of 111,000 people northwest of Denver and near the Rocky Mountains. The city got its name from a Presbyterian university that was established for a short time here in the early 1900s.

In January 1971 morning worship services and classes began in a local school gymnasium; and about two years later on Mar. 31, 1973, the Westminster RPC was organized with 36 members.

In 1974, the congregation purchased a large ranch-style house along with 6 cres of land on 112th Avenue, which was then a country lane. The three-car garage was converted into a meeting room and the rest of the house was used for classes, fellowship and the pastor’s study. Over the years this ...

In order to continue reading, a subscription is necessary. SUBSCRIBE or LOGIN.