Subscriber? Login. No? Subscribe.

A History of Evangelical Presbyterian Church in Toronto

29. September 2017

  

Click here to read Evangelical Presbyterian’s Congregation of the Month article.


In mid-19th Century Toronto, Presbyterianism was a dominant form of Protestant Christianity. Many names known in the city today were Presbyterians, such as George Brown. In 1875, four branches of Presbyterianism joined to form the Presbyterian Church in Canada—including most Reformed Presbyterian and Free Church of Scotland congregations.

In 1921 Highland Scot migrants to Toronto pledged unqualified adherence to the Westminster standards and to a biblical form of worship. In 1928 they petitioned the General Assembly of the Free Church of Scotland, and a congregation was formed around 1930. By the grace of God, in the midst of an economic depression, they managed to raise sufficient funds to purchase land in downtown Toronto and construct a church building, which was the congregation’s temporal home from 1931 to 1976.

A report to the General Assembly in 1931 observed: “Our brethren across the Atlantic are very much in need of settled ministers. When deputies go out they are entreated to stay for a reasonably long period. The response to this request is not always encouraging, especially during the Winter. Nonetheless, many good men did respond to the ‘entreaty’ and ‘went out’ to serve in Toronto for varying periods, alongside the faithful leaders and people ...

In order to continue reading, a subscription is necessary. SUBSCRIBE or LOGIN.