Subscriber? Login. No? Subscribe.

A Century of Service to Christ, Country—and Kansas

08. August 2006

Columns, Congregation of the Month,

  

Minneola RPC

Organization date: April 2, 1906

Location: Minneola, Kan.

Presbytery: Midwest

Membership: 19 communicant, 5 baptized

Pastor-Elect: Stan Copeland

Our History

Associate Presbyterian farmers, mostly from Stafford, Kan., emigrated to the area in covered wagons in 1904. Convictions about worship and Sabbath-keeping led them to organize a congregation in 1906. It would be 8 years before they installed a pastor, but faithful leaders developed a thriving congregation. In 1914, these visionaries bought the vacant Mennonite building and moved it by steam-powered tractor three miles south of town.

From the Pearl Harbor attack until the V-J armistice, Rev. Kermit Edgar, a Reformed Presbyterian, was stated supply minister. In 1942, the congregation built a new worship center in Minneola, which they still occupy. Eleven ministers have served as stated supply; seven have been installed. The average pastorate has been 12 years, with the longest being Rev. Paul Hindman’s 29 years.

Our Ministry

The church’s primary ministry is to render biblically obedient worship to God. Secondarily, we support local schools and youth outreach, ongoing Christian education at every level, revival on the Great Plains, domestic and foreign missions, and Christian fellowship groups.

Minneola RPC continues to ...

In order to continue reading, a subscription is necessary. SUBSCRIBE or LOGIN.